Thursday, October 14, 2010

"Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts" Ch. 7 Reflection

Chapter 7 of our text describes a number of different ways to use Flickr in the classroom. Prior to this reading I had not thought about using a photo posting site for anything other than personal use. This reading has made me think about other interesting and fun ways to use this technology in the classroom such as using it to document everyday activities, special school events, field trips, or even student's work for all to see. Another interesting idea I got after reading this was posting different pictures to see and have the students blog about different feelings or ideas they have about the pictures. I think it is neat that there is a tool to add comments to the pictures. When using Flickr there are different security measures you can set in place for privacy of your classroom. This is something very important to consider when setting up an account on Flickr. As a teacher you need to take in consideration the privacy of your students. I think it would be important to send a permission slip at the beginning of the year asking parents for permission to post pictures of their children on the Flickr account if their child is a minor.

In my classroom I would definitely use a site such as Flickr to post pictures of different activities for the parents, students, and community to see. It is important for parents to see what their child is doing during the school day and this is an easy way to show what is being accomplished. I also think it is neat that you can use google maps combined with Flickr and see all of the different photos that were taken in that particular place by using "Tags". This would be fun to use when talking about a specific place in the world during a lesson to see actual pictures of people in that location. I would also consider posting the work of my students and having other classmates blog about their work. To keep everything appropriate I would closely monitor the account and make sure that everything posted and commented on is staying appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment